January 5th I received an e-mail saying I was selected out of 1,218 people to travel to Thailand this summer. My first reaction was that this e-mail was sent to me on accident or this was some kind of a joke. However, this was so real. Since then, I have had to get way too many shots, complete a book, a 10 minute PowerPoint, a research paper, file for my passport and numerous other assignments. I do not know why the Army selected me for this experience but it is definitely a blessing that I am extremely thankful for. On 28 May I begin my journey up to Fort Knox, Kentucky for "pre-deployment training". In my eyes this shouldn't be classified as a deployment. I am not going to be Over-Sea's fighting for this country and everyone's freedom, my life isn't going to be at risk and most of all I won't be doing anything heroic. Anyways, my plane lands in Bangkok, Thailand 4 June where I will stay until 28 June. I get to turn twenty in Thailand. I am positive that this will be a birthday that I will always remember. While I am in the country, I do not know what I will be doing, except that it is being classified as volunteer work. Either way, I am really excited for this trip and the opportunity to experience another culture that I am completely unfamiliar with.
I have been told that while I am over there the house I am going to be staying in will have WiFi, so I plan on updating this blog as frequently as I can. I figured this would be wayyy easier than sending everyone a message or posting something on facebook. I look forward to sharing my journey with everyone interested. (:
- Britany
No comments:
Post a Comment